Friday 27 February 2009

Ratty


When we were out the day before yesterday, a birds nest in the brambles next to the path caught my eye, I first thought - as you would - that it was a bird nesting, a bit close to the path and a bit low down, but when I looked again, realised that it was Ratty! Typical, I didn't have the camera with me! So, we came home, got J's camera as it's got a better lens than my digital one and went back out. I got one photo then Ratty jumped out of the nest and vanished down a well-placed branch into the undergrowth. Today I went the same way, same camera and got 5 or 6 pictures before he took off. One picture looks like there could be a small face in the nest as well, maybe it's Mrs Ratty keeping her babies safe - she is about 4 or 5 feet off the ground in a bramble patch! It's difficult to see the size from the photo, but I'd guess at about 4 inches of body and a bit more of tail, a gingery brown colour, and unless there is a giant Andalucian mouse, we reckon it's most likely a rat. Still, quite cute looking.

PS - the "we" in all this is Monty and me - he probably wondered why we went twice to the same place, stood around for a bit and then came home. Not sure he understands about taking photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment