Thursday 26 March 2009

Shopping locally.

I went into town today to buy some cement, replace empty gas bottles and buy a few other things. The cement was 16.80.......I had 16.70 in change or else a 50 euro note....it doesn't matter said Paquita, give me the 10 cents next time you're in. Went to the tabac, same thing, nearly the correct change or else a note.....pay the rest next time. And then to the gas shop. I took in 2 empty bottles of butano (used for the cooker and the shower) swopped for 2 full bottles and went in to pay. The lady there said that on the 1st of April the price was dropping from 13 to 10 euros so did I want to wait till then before changing! Well of course I did, as we don't need the bottles today as we always have more spares than we need. I left the empties with her and will collect the full ones sometime after the price drop. And 6 euros is better in my pocket than the gas companies :)

Paying the extra 10 cents or so whenever you are in town next has happened quite often here, I still find it very trusting/amazing. Having said that, when we order stuff from Elena at the local builders merchant, her husband Juan delivers the same day and they are really surprised if you want to pay there and then. Their attitude is pay when the job is done, even if it's a long term project!

Do local businesses have this same outlook elsewhere? Not many of these places take credit or debit cards, most of them only do cash and are only accountable to themselves - this must make a difference I think. No head- office watching over every thing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment