Thursday 30 May 2013

Smoothberry jam

Four pots of smooth strawberry jam equals one happy husband!    After finding 1100mls of strawberry puree in the freezer,   I added an equal amount of sugar plus   4 tablespoons of lemon juice and  some 15 minutes or so later had the test batch on a saucer to see if it was done.  'The wrinkle test'  my book calls it,  but  when the jam didn't move even with the saucer tipped sideways,  I knew it was ready for bottling.

Made a loaf of wholemeal bread as well,  so that is breakfast sorted for tomorrow - and a few more days as well I hope.

The next challenge......what to do with today's  kilo of strawberries that I picked this afternoon.   Maybe  another boozy offering,  a friend suggested strawberry gin instead of using sloe berries,  but  I'm a vodka girl and found lots of sites for how to make strawberry vodka.   That does sound right up my street!   Seems you just need a bottle of vodka and about a pound or so of strawberries,  cut them into quarters and put into the vodka for anything between 3 to 7 days.    By then all the colour and flavour has gone into the vodka,  you strain it through a muslin or coffee filter,  chill and drink. It works best if you use a  glass jar with a lid,  then put it back into the bottle for chilling and serving.

So my next step is to check the vodka supply! 




No comments:

Post a Comment