Friday 29 November 2013

Black Friday?

Apparently today is also known as Black Friday,  the Friday  after Thanksgiving in America regarded as the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.   And now this seems to have come to other parts of the world.    We don't often watch tv,  in fact the last time we had the television on was for the Wimbledon men's finals...... but we do read the news on-line and so keep up with current events, even if they don't always seem to have much relevance to our day to day life.

So this morning,  lots of stuff in the papers about Black Friday,  special deals in the shops,  people apparently trying to buy more than they could - one discounted item each - and some problems.

We had to go into Cadiar today to meet some very kind people who are lending us baby stuff for over the Christmas holidays, thanks to Anna we have a cot,  thanks to Ruth we have a car seat,  also we needed to replace the windscreen wipers  (23 euros for all 3,   and fitted)  Although they  don't get much use  - lack of rain and we don't go out much - we are due to take the car for its ITV (MOT) soon and they needed changing.

And then on to the fruit and veg shop.  Which is what got me thinking about buying in bulk and cheaply.  I joined the queue,  quién es la última  (who is last?)   I asked ...  the man at the front came with his own crate for his shopping,  he got it weighed and then asked about the price of the apples.  2 euros for 3 kilos.  He got a crate full of apples,  12.5 kilos!!   Big family?  Lots of cooking to do?  It does you make you wonder!  

And then my turn,  a bag full of onions,  4 or 5 kilos, whatever fits,  it doesn't matter. 

 Ginger ?  yes. 

 Limas? (limes)   I need 12.   ¿Cuántos  (How many)   you need 12??  

Now when the man in front asked for a crate full of apples - 12 kilos - not a raised eyebrow.  But when I asked for 12 limes I got the 'how many?' raised eyebrow question.  Maybe he doesn't know about our lime pickle recipe,    he doesn't know what he is missing!

So this afternoon another sunny walk,  only 11 in the shade but lovely in the sun out walking.  The big billy goat was making the most of the mulberry tree by the chapel....



and there is the first dusting of snow on Sierra Gador....




5 comments:

  1. Would like you to know that I'm from the US and you couldn't pay me enough to go out shopping today, Black Friday. Many people have made it a tradition. There were stores that opened last night, which was our Thanksgiving holiday. I find that ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for the comment, don't know if you are a regular reader or just saw it cos of the title, but do keep reading - hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog about a month ago. As I do when I find one I find interesting, I read it through to the end. I'd love to live in the country and farm like you do, but that will never happen as my husband could never adapt to that life. I'm so impressed by your ability to cook, can, dry, make wine all with products you grow yourself.
    We are going to buy a flat in Barcelona this April. We will use it about 6-8 weeks and rent it out as much as we can. Maybe after he retires I could talk him into somewhere more quiet and more rural as I'm not a city girl. I'm conceding to Barcelona because at least it's getting me to Spain. We girls have our ways of getting what we want, right?
    I'll definately keep checking back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So which part of the world do you come from, or live in now? Close to Spain I hope for holidays, although I've noticed a visitor from West Palm Beach Florida recently......could this be you?

      Delete
  4. Yes, I live near West Palm Beach, a little town called Palm Beach Shores, for the winter. Florida is warm all winter so it's wonderful being here. In the summer I live in Southern New Jersey, another little town called North Wildwood. Both are beach towns on the Atlantic Ocean.
    Once we have the apartment in Barcelona, I'd like to spend a month in spring and another in the fall. I don't want to be in Barcelona the entire month, I want to use it as a home base and explore other places.
    I love all the history, the old churches and architecture in Europe. There's a lot to see in the US, but Europe is much more interesting to me. So many different cultures relatively close together.

    ReplyDelete