Sunday 11 May 2014

Cherry season.

It's cherry season now,  I've been keeping an eye on the tree  over these last few days,  picking and tasting,  if it's too soon they are a bit sour and difficult to pick,  leave it a day or two more and it can be  too late and the birds clean out the whole tree.  Or worse, just peck at the cherries and spoil them.

I picked a bowlful this morning...



then one very sticky hour later I had a kilo of de-stalked and de-stoned  cherries  (is that right?  The stalking and stoning bit -  I've got red lines under my spellings but I know what I mean!) 


In the cupboard was a litre of local Spanish rum,  on the shelf a jar of miel de caña - sugar cane honey -  and  after sterilising 3 large jars,  we now have preserved cherries.  The preserving recipe book says to keep them in a dark place for about 3 months before eating.....we'll see if they last that long!



Ron the Joker - strange name for a rum you might think but ron is Spanish for rum,  can't explain the joker part though,  maybe it's something to do with the price as it's only €5.95 a litre,   £4.85 to those of you reading in UK.





No comments:

Post a Comment