Monday 28 July 2014

A is for Almonds

But in July??

Our almonds are always ready for picking in September,  and I know I've said before that every year is different and again that is so true.  One variety of our almonds are easy to crack - well,  comparatively easy as they are bigger than some types,  and we have 2 trees close to the house.  Yesterday I noticed that the husks were opening and the almonds are already dropping onto the ground.  Checked the other tree this morning,  same thing happening.  But only that type of almond, the others are all green and closed still.



The ones I could reach I picked and they are drying off,  the husks too as they burn well in the wood burner,  we pack them into cartons or cardboard egg boxes so they don't fall out of the grate at the bottom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment