Friday 18 March 2011

Back to normal...

....or not really.  For many years I had back problems, finally found a consultant who realised what the problem was, not a pulled muscle but a torn ligament.  The answer to my problem was  to  strengthen the muscles around the ligament to support it better.  We bought an excellent book which I recommend to everyone and it's available on Amazon



No problems for about 6 years until Tuesday when it started to drizzle so I moved the airer of wet washing under cover.  If you - or I  - lift something heavy at arms length, then the weight pulls on your lower back and ping!  It's not really a ping but there's definitely a pain and I know to be extra careful for a few days.  Unfortunately later that night Pip decided to go  to sleep on our bed and I - very carefully - moved her off.  But not carefully enough and that extra strain has completely done for me.

First thing in the morning I have to stretch my back before I can even think about getting out of bed,  no way can I put on socks until I've loosened up and our morning walk, which actually does me good, is more of a waddle  than a walk.  The further I go, the looser I get and by the time we've done our usual circuit I'm striding out with no sign of tension.

But then I sit down for breakfast and tighten up again.  Bed-making is quite difficult, more of it done on my knees than standing and so the day progresses.  There are lots of weeds to be dug out and peas to be planted and although I can do that kneeling, it also involves stretching forwards so not this week!

I have picked oranges though and so we have more juice, but instead of sorbet I have made an orange jelly.

Yes,  another recipe!

1 pint of fresh orange juice,
1 sachet (10g) gelatine
4 tablespoons hot water

Put the gelatine onto the hot water, leave for a minute or so to melt then stir till dissolved and clear.  Warm through if necessary but don't boil.  Add to the juice, mix and pour into dishes/wine glasses. Put in the fridge for a couple of hours and an almost instant dessert.    My recipe says 6 wine glasses - mine must be huge because it's only filled 2 of them - they are 300ml glasses though!

Haven't tried it but you can add Cointreau....

Just top it with cream and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment