Tuesday 1 March 2011

Yet more jars of food.

Yet more jars of home grown produce on the kitchen shelves.  I've just added three very large jars of red cabbage in a sweet vinegar.  I'm not really keen on vinegary things but the addition of a tablespoon of sugar to each pint of vinegar just takes the edge off that strong taste that makes me shudder!   I used white wine vinegar although  if I'd had enough I think red wine vinegar would have been a better colour with red cabbage.

The shelves are beginning to groan under the weight of the jars of olives, tomatoes, almonds, dried fruits, chutneys, jalapeños, jams and marmalade, onions, capers, walnuts and now cabbage that we have preserved so far.  Not mention the produce that is in the freezers - yes freezers,  as in more than one.  At the moment the orange trees are laden and  most days I  pick a couple of dozen while out on the morning dog walk and either squeeze for juice, or if we have enough then it gets frozen into cartons which we have kept from bought juice and as an alternative, today I am experimenting making sorbet.

None of the recipe suggestions that I have give any indication of how many scoops  they make, I've used 250ml juice plus 50g sugar today  to see how many servings we get.

Unfortunately the gorgeous sunshine has gone and it's not really sorbet weather but  it  just needs one more whizz before we sample it tonight.  And then I may tinker with the ingredients - the addition of vodka sounds rather nice to me.  Another suggestion was  to add grated zest or finely shredded peel for extra taste and for a 70's retro touch to serve it in a scraped clean orange half.

No comments:

Post a Comment