Thursday 21 April 2011

Boozy hot cross buns

We've been living here for over 7 years now, this is our 8th Easter here and as yet we haven't had any hot cross buns.  Most things we make nowadays because what you may take for granted in England either doesn't make it this far or is way too expensive, however until this year neither of us remember even seeing hot cross buns for sale.  This year we saw some but at 3 euros for a pack of 4, there was a sharp intake of breath from both of us and when we got  home,  I looked in my bread book for a recipe.

We had everything it said, except for the raisins/sultanas.....but if you have dried figs, apples and pears I reckon you can adapt most recipes.  I thought the fruit needed re-hydrating -  normally I'd add water and leave them to soak overnight but being Easter I thought we'd have a treat and so I added a little brandy.  Maybe more than a little, didn't want the fruit to dry out but to swell and be juicy.

At this point I'd love to put up a photo of the hot cross buns - we haven't eaten them all, I made 12 and we've still 6 left  - but they cooked really quickly and the bottoms were done faster than the tops so they have brown bottoms but pale tops.  They taste wonderful though.   Spicy, fruity, maybe a hint of boozyness  but definitely pale.

No comments:

Post a Comment