Monday 10 September 2012

The price of a suntan

One of the side effects of  living in the sun is heat rash.   I've never had heat rash ever,  and even when we used to go for the 2 weeks in the sun and get as brown as we can type of holiday,  I've never suffered.  I do have sun lotion, not a factor 40 or anything like that but also I tan really easily and always use lots of moisturiser.

However this summer has been different.  It's been extremely hot for many many weeks - even months.   In the middle of July I broke out in a rash on the tops of my feet, no problem, different sandals that didn't rub, but then it appeared on the tops of my legs, then my wrists and backs of hands, then my arms, neck and chest.  Only bumps under the skin that I could feel but weren't really visible.  I kept out of the sun, while we wondered if I'd pruned a plant that I was allergic to, or eaten or drunk something different.  The rash that came slowly finally went and after 3 weeks I was back to normal, although with some dry patches that I only rubbed olive oil into.  Most moisturisers have lots of strange ingredients in them, who needs perfume?  or alcohol?  Surely they dry the skin, not moisturise it?

The weather has got cooler,  I've been back out in the sun, not sunbathing - who needs to when there is so much sun?  but doing things without thinking about the need for sun lotion protection.  And yes, the rash has come back.  Started last Saturday on my wrists and backs of hands,  crept up my arms, round my neck but more visible this time.  Red and blotchy would be a good description! 

So off this morning to talk to Sylvia at the Farmacia.  She took one look and said 'have you been to the beach?'  No, only normal outside life, working and walking.  And yes, it's a heat rash - she says that as you get older, your skin loses elasticity and gets thinner and is more
likely to react to the heat.  Factor 50 is a must apparently    and I came away with a bag of goodies and a very empty purse.  Special shower gel that cleans but without additives, body lotion without additives and lots of anti-histamines.  The first thing I did when I got home was shower and moisturise with the new products and - it maybe my imagination - but I feel less red and lumpy than this morning.

The worst thing about the rash has been the healing as my skin has felt 2 sizes too small for me,  really tight and tender.  But this new magic moisturiser seems to be working wonders.  Now  I will have to look at different factor 50 sun creams.  She sells one in the farmacia that is fragrance etc free and probably will suit me.....at a price!  


No comments:

Post a Comment