Saturday 28 September 2013

Strawberry crumble.

Over the last few weeks I've been trying to find spaces for the new strawberry plants - some had hidden themselves under other plants and needed moving into a bigger space,  most I'd popped into yoghurt pots to root,  some 'mother' plants have died this year for no apparent reason so the babes have gone to replace them.  The day before yesterday I was planting out again,  reached for a bucket of water to give them a drink and yes,  back pain again.  So I very carefully straightened up and walked around a bit to loosen up.  But no more planting or watering that day,  but back exercises that afternoon.  I've been doing them almost every day this summer,  usually after my swim,  but I haven't swum for about 10 days, and no exercises either,  maybe that's the cause.  Or maybe the bucket was too full and I  lifted it awkwardly. 

I did a check round the strawberry beds yesterday afternoon as they are still ripening although far less to pick now.  But after the rain they rot,  and as it was forecast for showers last night and also today I thought I'd better get them picked.  500 grams again.  But I really wanted something different to do with them,  cream and icecream are all very well but after 5 months of strawberries and cream.....

A quick google of strawberry crumble - why not?  Surely the fruit can only go jam like,  soften a bit and maybe be juicy.  And there was a scrummy sounding recipe from Nigella - ground almonds and vanilla and sugar in with the fruit,  brown sugar and sliced almonds in the crumble.  I thought I'd make it for Sunday night but then John said, why not tonight?  What difference does it make if we have a pudding on a Friday,  we eat them so rarely anyway.   So strawberry crumble it was,  with cream,  and enough for Sunday as well.  And as delicious as the recipe promised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment