Sunday 15 March 2015

Each peach pear plum....

Some of you might remember Each Peach Pear Plum as a title of a children's book by Janet and Allen Ahlberg published way back in 1978 and still in the top 10 of best selling children's books ever,   however that's not what I intended to write about,  it just occurred to me when I was sorting out these photos.....

If we are lucky these flowers will produce peaches...

and pears...

and plums  Although we've only ever had 2 plums from this tree,   I've said before 'every year is different'  so maybe this year it will surprise us.



Up at  the fuente is a large shrubby plant and it's covered in catkins.  They are huge and fluffy,  I always thought catkins were the flower of a hazel but having googled,  they are also on the alder which we have,  the poplar which we have, the birch, beech, hornbeam and the willow which grows at the stream on the way up to Yegen.  So I learnt something new today!


These catkins are - I think - on the alder as there are a lot of them growing near the fuente. 

Spring which sprung so beautifully recently has taken a break again,  clouds gathered very low down on Friday afternoon,  we were almost in the clouds at times yesterday although the sun struggled through a bit,  last night it drizzled - I thought we were walking in the cloud when we went out last thing but it was the start of a drizzly night.  Brighter today but much cooler than of late.  No bare legs today!  Back into trousers and socks.




No comments:

Post a Comment