Thursday 15 April 2010

Wild asparagus


I'm ashamed to admit that although we've lived here for over 6 years, and know that asparagus grows wild around here, we have never really looked for it. In fact until the plant was pointed out to me on Monday, I'm not certain I'd have even seen it for what it was.

However since then, I've seen plants everywhere I've been when out with the dogs. Under trees, sides of footpaths, growing out of stone walls, but usually in with clumps of brambles to make it difficult to pick the spears. Today I found more, maybe because it rained last night which encouraged the growth, or maybe I'm just getting better at seeing it.

Still not really enough for a meal but I do have a recipe for a bread which includes asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes and black olives, all of which we have of our own. A waste of fresh asparagus do you think? Should I keep it until there's enough for two?

2 comments:

  1. don't keep it, eat it at it's best or mule it over to me in Murtas! - set your oven to 180 degres, throw olive oil butter and sea salt on it and roast for 10 mins, use your fingers and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. blimey do you know how much asparagas is in England

    £3.00 A SMALL BUNCH...Just pick it.xxBarbs and Tom xx

    ReplyDelete