Wednesday 26 June 2013

Leafless celeriac :(

Caterpillars in the veg growing outside I can sort of accept and have got used to - but I don't make life easy for them as if at all possible I cover everything with peanet.  This year a cabbage has appeared from nowhere,  probably a self seeded one from at least 2 years ago as we didn't grow them last year due to the caterpillars - have they touched this one though?  No.  They've been too busy elsewhere, that's why.

Six of the celeriac plants were too small to go out and are still in 'potting' waiting to grow up,  along with half a dozen or so basil plants.  The day before yesterday some of the basils  looked a little raggedy so I covered them with a mesh top as I thought a bird had been in and pecked the nice green shoots.   Yesterday morning though when I opened up,  all the celeriacs were totally bald - just bare stalks!  Took the plants outside into the sunshine for a better look,  put my glasses on,  John came to see as well.....

You know don't you,  what I'm going to write next,  yup those dreaded  caterpillars  had had a good munch overnight and left us with just stalks.   A bit late now, but I've made the celeriac plants some hats from netting and I'm hoping they'll regrow before it's too hot to plant them out.



No comments:

Post a Comment