Wednesday 19 June 2013

The best place for a jabalí

There are good and bad places for things to be,  and the best place that we can think of for a jabalí (wild boar) to be,  is roasted on a dinner plate.

I went out to the veg patch this afternoon to dig up the garlic,  water the peppers and celeriac and  to pick strawberries.   Bear with me on this.....

First things done ok,  small garlic again this year but better than none I suppose,  did the watering and started picking a nice big bowl of fruit and working my way round the strawberry field - as my friend calls it - when I realised that there were plants out of the ground,  the soil was dug over,  and some of the fruit very squashed.  Then I straightened up and looked further past the strawberries to the next as yet unused bed,  where the acequia runs to our last olive tree.

What a mess.   Dug up,  although churned up might be a better word for it,  hoof prints or more like hoof holes everywhere.  Only one animal does anything like this round here and it's the dreaded jabalí which is why we prefer it roasted on a dinner plate.

This is how our acequias normally look,  wide and clean and able to cope  with running water.

And this is what the jabalí left behind......I hope it doesn't come back anytime soon.  There's some digging and tidying to do here before this can be used for vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment