Thursday 11 April 2013

A question for you

Does anybody know what these flowers are? 








They bloom from very early in the year until very late.   I'm talking about February onwards,  until  the end of November or even December.    Cuttings take very easily,  straight into the ground,   and now I have a third variety with very pale petals which have a slight pink tinge to the tips.

I have a feeling they are part of a chrysanthemum type of plant group but don't know why I think that,  I've been through my plant books but can't find anything with these distinctive yellow dots in the centre of the flower.   They were sold as Margarita's but aren't - as far as I know.

So anybody knowledgeable out there,  please get in touch - add a reply on here - email - phone - I would like to know as they are so pretty.

Thankyou!

6 comments:

  1. I know my flowers....there roses...from simon with the boiled head....
    See you both soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Simon, no gold stars for you today, I think you and Andrea had too much sun over Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki they look very much like African Daisy (Arctotis stoechadifolia)........I have some although they do not do very well not enough sun

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, just googled that name and you are spot on! An extra large glass of red wine for you next time we see you.....:)

    Many thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are osteospermum common name cape daisies. Flower in hot dry neglected conditions but over a long flowering period. Good ground cover. Checked African daisy and this is another name for them.Hope this helps. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Confused now! ( see the latest post,) this flower seems to have 2 Latin names for which I'm sure there is a good reason but it doesn't help me find them in a book.

    Think I'll go and label them so I don't forget the name again.

    ReplyDelete