Sunday 7 April 2013

Today's planting list.

Most times when I go out to plant seeds,  I think I'll remember what went in and where.  I do have plastic plant labels that I put at the ends of the rows with 'what, how many and when'  written on them but I also have a book indoors as a record.  However if I've planted lots of seeds, I get back indoors and  think   'hhmm, how many rows of kohlrabi?'    It's much easier to write down in the book  if  I've kept a note of things as I go.

Today I planted lots of seeds,  in boxes that mushrooms came in, in yoghurt pots,  in boxes that 'pollo entera' used to be sold in (that's a whole chicken for cooking/roasting)  - times have changed and now they come in plastic bags, not nearly as useful as a seed box - and basically any container that seems to be deep enough to allow a seed to germinate and produce roots before getting too pot bound.

Into the potting shed this morning  with my packets of seeds, a large bag of (bought)  compost - ours in no way near fine enough for seeds -  my glasses for those tiny seeds that the packet says 'sow thinly'  and that I can barely see,  trowel, plastic labels, and a permanent marker pen.

First  I filled all the various boxes with compost,  then started adding the seeds,  with labels.  At that point - and with compost everywhere - I realised I didn't bring a sheet of paper to scrawl down how many of each type I'd  planted.  OK,  I could go back out later and count up and make notes, but it's so much easier to do it as you go.  But there in a corner I spied an empty box from coke or limón - squashed but never mind -  still easy to write on. 

So here it is,  today's planting list.   The chillis all have 'nicknames' - depending on who gave us the originals or where they were bought,  so 'Paco's not hot"  is not describing him, but he gave us some very mild chillis.  'Cadiar thins'  are long thin chillis that came from plants bought locally.  The calabaza  (squash)  are also labelled according to who gave us the original as every year we have different varieties given to us,  long, green, round, orange.....


Make sense?  It does to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment